The Native Employment Works (NEW) program is designed to provide work-related activities to support job readiness, job placement, and job retention for designated Native American service populations and service areas. NEW programs work with the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) to submit a NEW plan that outlines their specific approach to serving their community as it relates with regulatory plan requirements. Some NEW programs are included under a P.L. 102-477 Plan Visit disclaimer page . Plans must be renewed every three years.
Federally-recognized Indian Tribes and Alaska Native organizations that operated a Tribal Job Opportunities and Basic Skills Program (JOBS) Program in 1995 are the only tribes eligible for NEW program funding. There are 78 NEW grantees. Regulation does not allow for additional NEW grants.
NEW programs work closely with other tribal, local, state, and federal programs, helping grantees bridge service gaps and provide coordinated services to their clients.
NEW Program Activities
NEW program funding supports education, training, and employment activities.
- Educational activities including support for GED, remedial, vocational, post-secondary, and alternative education;
- Training and job readiness activities including job skills training, job readiness training, on-the-job training, entrepreneurial training, and management training; and
- Employment activities including job search, job development and placement, community work experience, community service programs, traditional subsistence activities, work exposure, and subsidized and unsubsidized public and private sector work experience and employment.
Statutes and Regulations
Following are key statutes and regulations for the NEW program:
- NEW Statute (PDF) Visit disclaimer page Social Security Act IVA Section 412(a)(2)
- NEW Regulations Visit disclaimer page 45 CFR Part 287
- Annual Financial Report
- Annual Narrative and Statistical Report
- Federal Regional office contacts for the NEW program
- Standard Terms and Conditions of the Native Employment Works grant
- Native Employment Works (NEW) Plan Guidance (PL 102-477) (non-PL 102-477)
- NEW-ACF-PI-2011-01 Program, financial, and audit reporting requirements for Native Employment Works (NEW) grantees, including new requirement to use Federal Financial Report (Standard Form 425)
- NEW-ACF-PI-2004-02 Effect on Native Employment Works (NEW) grantees of statutory amendment permitting carryover of unobligated balances with no fiscal year limitation — revised program instruction
- Online Data Collection (OLDC) Resources Visit disclaimer page